The Student News Site of Marshfield High School

Jay Chatter

Jay Chatter

Jay Chatter

Polls

What's your favorite spirit day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Christmas Cinematic Universe

IMDb.com
In order: “The Polar Express,” “Ernest Saves Christmas,” “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation”

Christmas movies are nationally renowned as a way to spread Christmas cheer. There are many famous movies bouncing around in pop culture, but out of them all, “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation,” “The Polar Express” and “Ernest Saves Christmas”  are my favorites. While ranking these movies, my criteria will be based on the plot, Christmas spirit, rewatchability and overall general effect. These movies will then be rated on a scale of 5 snowballs. 

While I love “The Polar Express,” it ranks last on my top 3 list. The movie is directed by none other than Robert Zemeckis, the guy also behind popular titles such as “Back to the Future” and “Forrest Gump.” It follows a young boy who is starting to have doubts about Santa. On Christmas Eve night, he takes a life-changing train ride to the North Pole. One of the main reasons I love this movie so much is the nostalgia from elementary school when the teachers would have Christmas parties and gather all the students to watch this movie. A few times they hyped up the occasion by giving us tickets, bells or hot chocolate, just like they do for the kids in the movie. It would always get me in the Christmas mood and now every time I watch it, I feel the same as I did then. The plot however is a little fuzzy at times. It’s very easy to get confused throughout the movie. Nothing seems to make sense, but it gives the vibes of a fever dream. Who knows what you’re going to see next? Who knows, but you might as well stick around to see the rest. Another thing that brings this movie down slightly is the animation style. The movie is notorious for its “uncanny valley” animation, making some feel a little disturbed by the movie. I don’t think it’s necessarily as bad as some say, but it definitely can be a little unnerving at times. Overall, this was one of my favorite Christmas movies growing up, so I could never let this movie go. I would definitely give this one a solid 3/5 snowballs. 

Right in the middle of the list is “Ernest Saves Christmas” directed by John R. Cherry III. This movie is about the sweet but silly Ernest P. Worell meeting none other than Santa Claus himself. Ernest helps Santa through his ups and downs to find someone to be the next Father Christmas while also helping his friend, Harmony, find herself. Ernest movies are always so humorous. He is such a lovable character and always is trying his hardest. Plus, this peculiar movie has its heartwarming moments, while also being able to keep up the comedic mood. There is nothing that screams Christmas more than Santa, he is the figurehead of the holidays after all. He is full of spirit and puts everyone in a jolly mood. One of my favorite scenes from the movie that will never get old is when he gets put in prison. His cheer never dies, so naturally he becomes a director for his own inmate choir. All in all, the vibes of this movie are amazing, it has to be my favorite Ernest movie out of the entire franchise and one of my favorite Christmas movies, gaining a 4/5 snowballs. 

My all-time favorite movie to watch during the Christmas season is “National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation” directed by Jeremiah S. Chechik. This movie is an addition to the National Lampoon’s franchise following the Griswold family’s Christmas traditions, including treacherous light hanging, crabby families, unforgiving neighbors, and a cousin you will never forget. This movie has got to be my favorite because it shows the realities of a true family Christmas. What’s a family gathering without a bit of a cranky grandpa and a grandmother who can only hear from her left ear? Or a family member who is always oversharing his questionable life? That’s what we love about them. Every year while watching it, the same jokes get told, yet I still laugh at it with my family, making our own connections to real life. It is one of the most iconic Christmas films today for good reason. It is overall a comedic relief from the holiday season and it deserves 4.5/5 snowballs. Half a point only being docked because some of the jokes or saying could be seen as outdated, though perfect to me nonetheless.