Bringing Christmas to MHS

Savannah Clair

The MHS band prepares to play at Christmas Concert.

Savannah Clair, Writer

The Marshfield High School embraced the Christmas spirit Dec. 11 when the full high school band preformed a Christmas concert for anyone who wanted to attend.

According to Lori Hutton, the MHS band director, the band had been practicing for only three weeks to perfect six pieces.  

“Normally, it takes four to six weeks to rehearse three pieces for a normal concert,” said Hutton. “We were crunched for time this year due to the fact we spent the 1st quarter in Marching Band, then immediately afterwards, spent time preparing for the Veteran’s Day Concert.”

The show started with Rick Castens conducting the band while they played ‘And the Herald Angels Sing.’

After the conclusion of that song Castens stepped down and the student teacher Maxwell Gemmill stepped on the podium and counted the band off to “Carol of the Drum.” Senior Gracie Day said, “I like “Carol of the Drum” [because] it gives a really Christmasy feel.”

Next up was the popular song “Joy to the World” conducted by Castens.

Hutton approached the podium after “Joy to the World” to lead the band in “A Christmas Festival.”

Then Daniel Wyman conducted “Fantasy on a Bell Carol” and lastly, Hutton conducted the concluding song “Sleigh Ride.”

“We have a great library of wonderful Christmas pieces that are not only fun for the students to learn and nice for the audience to listen to, but great for reinforcing fundamentals and challenging them with new musical concepts. By challenging the students, it allows for the opportunity to keep learning and growing as musicians. I am very proud of the MHS Band and how hard they work,” Hutton said.