Jay Chatter

Spring sports have sprung into action

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spring sports have sprung into action

(Left to right) Senior Tori Bargewell, Dallas Hougardy, Brady  VanNest, and Junior Shayden Porter, posing for a picture after the second day of practice.

(Left to right) Senior Tori Bargewell, Dallas Hougardy, Brady VanNest, and Junior Shayden Porter, posing for a picture after the second day of practice.

Jordyn Koons, Editor

Mon. Feb. 26, was the first day of season for girls soccer and boys golf.

Boy’s Golf is coached by Reggie Smith. Smith teaches sixth grade social studies, but has taught other subjects before. Throughout the years, Smith has coached seventh and eighth grade boys basketball and sometimes returns to coaching it. This is his first year coaching high school boys golf.

Due to wet weather conditions on the first day of practice the driving range was closed, but Smith spent some of the time talking basics about golf and he gathered information from his athletes.

Smith said, “We were able to utilize the practice green for some extra short game (chipping and putting) practice. I had the boys do a few competitions after some instruction/practice. Finally, we got out and played a few holes together.”

According to Smith, there will not be an official tryout because six boys, possible seven, came out on the first and second day of practice. The team has several small goals as a team and individually. Smith would like to see each boy improve as a golfer throughout the season, as well as mature into responsible adults.

“I am already having a great time just hanging out with the boys. They make me feel young and I love their enthusiasm to learn,” said Smith.

The first tournament is March 27 at the Ledgestone Country Club.

Girls soccer is coached by Paul Lewis and Tom Searson. Lewis teaches Physical Education and Health here at the high school and this will be his twenty-third year coaching. Searson teaches Geometry at Marshfield High School and has been coaching girls soccer for sixteen years. On the first day girls soccer started with stretching then followed that with touches on the ball. After touches the lady jays went on to a twelve minute run, and after the run they did some drills by the goal. They ended practice that day with eleven minutes of one minute intervals of walking, jogging and sprinting.

The main goal that coach Lewis has for his girls is to keep improving. “Every time you get outside and do something with the ball, you get better. Even if it is kicking with a brick wall,” said Lewis.

The Lady Jays will be practicing for the next two Saturdays from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. in order to get ready for their upcoming Jamboree. The Jamboree will take place March 10 at 12:00 p.m, good luck Lady Jays!

About the Writer
Jordyn Koons, Editor

Hi! My name is Jordyn Koons and I am the editor of the Marshfield Jay Chatter. I am 17 years old and a senior at MHS. My favorite thing to do is hang out...

• Spring sports have sprung into action

News

Cheerleading State 2018

• Sports

Girls Swim Into the New Season

• Sports

Basketball preview

• Spring sports have sprung into action

Sports

First Wrestling Meet

• Spring sports have sprung into action

Fall

Swimmers Splash at State

• Spring sports have sprung into action

Sports

Wrestling For the Top

• Spring sports have sprung into action

MHS News

Cheer Regionals 2018

• Fall

At Neosho

• Spring sports have sprung into action

News

Moonlight Madness

• Spring sports have sprung into action

Fall

Girls Run Their Way to State

The Student News Site of Marshfield High School
Spring sports have sprung into action