Taking Down State

From+left+to+right+juniors+Travin+Plemmons%2C+Clay+Wilson%2C+Jordan+Irwin+and+senior+Deryl+VanNostrand+walk+in+the+walk+of+champions.+

Asiah Capponi

From left to right juniors Travin Plemmons, Clay Wilson, Jordan Irwin and senior Deryl VanNostrand walk in the walk of champions.

Savannah Clair, Writer

Marshfield wrestlers juniors Travin Plemmons, Clay Wilson, Jordon Irwin and senior Deryl VanNostrand placed 17 out of 52 as a team at state.

Unfortunately for Irwin he was injured before he could compete, but he was still able to travel and support his team.

Wilson defeated two opponents from Union and William Chrisman resulting in 9 points for Marshfield. He placed 6 individually in his 182 lbs class 3; ending his season with 47 wins and only 9 losses.

VanNostrand defeated four competitors from Westminster Christian Academy, Warrensburg, Washington and Union earning 18 points for his team. He placed 4 in his 195 lbs class 3; ending his season with 50 wins and only 6 losses.

“Deryl VanNostrand currently holds the record for the most wins in a career at Marshfield High School,” said Coach Matt Holt.

Plemmons took down three competitors from Webster Groves, Hannibal and North County. He placed 6 in his 220 lbs weight class 3. Plemmons season ended with 40 wins and 15 losses.

Holt said, “Our team will be different next year without them, but I think what they and the seniors before them have established is a culture that will allow someone to step in for them and this train will keep rolling.”