A win at Marshfield Duals leads to districts and State

The first place wrestling plaque for Marshfield Duals sits in the high school office window for all to see.

Ally Ayers, Editor

Marshfield Duals took place at Carthage on Saturday, Feb. 3. This wrestling tournament was against Monett, Webb City, Branson, Osage and Dexter. The wrestling team won against all schools making this the first time Marshfield has won their tournament ever.

I felt relief and a sense of pride that we finally won our own tournament. Showing the other teams there that Marshfield isn’t a team to be taken lightly anymore.

— Nick Hill

In the meet against Monett, seniors Nick Hill, Nick Taylor, Klayton Brooks, Deryl Vannostrand, juniors Clay Wilson and Wyatt Wilsey and freshman Braeden Brooks pinned, earning the team 6 points each. Also earning the team 6 points each with open spots on Monett was freshman Garret Cantrell, juniors Jordon Irwin and Travin Plemmons and sophomore Tyler Brussow. The ending score was 66-11 in favor of Marshfield.

In the meet against Webb City, senior Klayton Brooks and junior Clay Wilson pinned earning the team 6 points each. Freshman Rozalyn Richerson, seniors Klayton Brooks and Tristen Burton and junior Travin Plemmons earned 6 points each with open weight classes on Webb City. Senior Nick Taylor and junior Ruger Leppert both won their matches by points, earning 3 points for the team. Junior Will Snider earned 5 points for a technical fall and junior Jordon Irwin earned 4 points as a major decision meaning the individual points were up by eight points or more, leaving the final score 51-19 in favor of Marshfield.

In the meet against Branson, Snider, junior Isaiah Ragsdale and Wilson and Burton pinned, earning 6 points each. Taylor and Irwin took 4 points each as a major decision. Branson was open giving 6 points to senior Zach Kurre, Vannostrand, Plemmons and Richerson. The final score was 56-16 in favor of Marshfield.

In the meet against Osage, Leppert, Taylor, Irwin and Wilson pinned their opponents with 6 points each. Hill took 3 points for a decision by points. Osage was also opened giving 6 points each to Ragsdale, Snider, Brooks, Vannostrand, Plemmons, Burton and Richerson. The final score was 69-12 in favor of Marshfield.

In the meet against Dexter, Taylor, Ragsdale, Snider, Kurre and Irwin took 6 points each for pinning their opponents. Plemmons and Wilson took 3 points each for a decision by points. Dexter was also opened giving 6 points each to Brooks, Vannostrand and Burton. The final score was 54-24 in favor of Marshfield.

“I felt relief and a sense of pride that we finally won our own tournament. Showing the other teams there that Marshfield isn’t a team to be taken lightly anymore,” Hill comments on how it felt to win the tournament.

The Marshfield Duals tournament helped the team get ready for Districts that took place in Carthage on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 9 and 10. This two day tournament was to qualify for State on Thursday, Feb. 15 to Saturday, Feb. 17. Four Marshfield students made it to State. Juniors Clay Wilson, Jordon Irwin, Travin Plemmons and senior Deryl Vannostrand left the school this morning, Thursday, Feb. 15, to participate in the three day tournament. MHS wishes good luck to the four wrestlers as they make their way to State.