The Student News Site of Marshfield High School

Jay Chatter

Jay Chatter

Jay Chatter

Polls

What's your favorite spirit day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Diving Deep in the Iron Lung

A Review

When it comes to YouTube, and more specifically Markiplier, it may have become apparent that his upcoming film “Iron Lung” is set to release soon. Mark “Markiplier” Fischbach has been talking a lot about his production as one of his most ambitious projects in terms of filming and editing, the latter of which he has been working on since April. Fischbach loved the premise of the Iron Lung game when he started playing it and immediately was thinking of how to translate it to the big screen, but what exactly was it that he saw in the game that inspired this movie? 

The premise of the “Iron Lung” game is relatively simple; set years into the future a cataclysmic event has left most of the universe’s planets uninhabitable. The remaining humans are living across multiple starships and space stations. The Consolidation of Iron, the remnants of a government, set an expedition to AT-5, a desolate moon, because it has mysteriously formed an ocean of human blood, suspected to hold vital resources needed to sustain the human species. An unnamed convict is sealed into a submarine nicknamed the “Iron Lung” and is tasked to observe the ocean for any signs of habitability. 

It comes as no surprise that this film would be Fischbach’s debut film in his film career, as it really only needs a handful of actors at most and Fischbach’s gaming career is predominantly centered around the horror genre. Although it is interesting to think how Fischbach will make a whole movie around this plot, as in the game, the convict is actually the only human inside the ship, a horror movie that is at least 90 minutes with only one person will be difficult to keep the audience hooked. The movie is set to be released on November 12, 2023, in theaters for anyone and everyone to see, that includes AMC theaters in Springfield! The movie will also be streaming on Netflix shortly after.

Fun Fact: In making the movie, Fischbach may have broken the record for the most blood used in a movie, a record currently held at 50,000 gallons by Evil Dead (2013) and its gory climax.