Off to Washington

Harleigh Davidson, Writer

Daphne Boggs, junior, is off to Washington D.C. in the month of June! The six day trip will be completely paid for. Boggs found out the exciting news on April 3 and another girl from Fordland will be attending the trip as well.

This trip isn’t just some lucky thing Boggs was chosen for. She wrote an essay on the relationship between the members of a cooperative and the cooperative itself in comparison to other electric companies. Boggs said, “I decided to write it because it was an easy 500 word essay that could potentially get me a trip to D.C. where I wouldn’t have to pay for a thing. It was advertised in Mr. Mason’s Scholars English 3 class but by no means was it required.”

According to the website Cooperative Grocer Network, a cooperative is a legal entity owned and democratically controlled by its members. Members often have a close association with the enterprise as producers or consumers of its products or services, or as its employees. Electricity providers are companies that purchase wholesale electricity from electricity generators and sell it at a retail level to the general public, according to the website Electricity Plans. Webster Electric does this trip so students can compete in the national conference youth tour. They also do it because it’s a great opportunity for the teens to experience new things, according to Website Electric Cooperative website.

Boggs participates in many activities with the school. She is a Jay Walker during football and basketball season, which is the school’s dance team. She is also in student cabinet and is a part of the National Honors Society. Student cabinet is an organization conducted by students, they help share student ideas and interest. National Honors Society is the nation’s premier organization established to recognize outstanding high school students. More than just an honor roll, NHS serves to recognize those students who have demonstrated excellence in the areas of scholarship, service, leadership, and character. Lastly, she is in the early start program at OTC.

She had an interview with a panel of judges about her essay, along with a handful of other kids. Her essay stood out to the company and they then chose her to go on the trip after the interview.

Boggs is very excited about the whole trip. It’s her second time in Washington and she is ready. She stated, “I’m very excited! I’m excited to be able to see things for a second time!”