MSHSAA District Championships, Speech & Debate

Harleigh Davidson, Writer

Speech and Debate competed at the MSHSAA District Championships on Friday, March 1 and Saturday, March 2. They ended up leaving with four finalists and three events going to State. To be a finalists you had to be in the top six, but to qualify for state you had to be top four. The finalist from Marshfield were Chandler Zimmerman, Tatum Manary, Ashlyn Harrod and Holly Smith. The people who made it to State were Tatum Manary, Elijah Wolfard and Chandler Zimmerman.

State qualifiers Manary and Wolfard were district champions in Duet Acting. Manary stated, “I feel really good about how last weekend went! I went to state my sophomore year and I think that Elijah I have a good chance of doing well! State is in April, but it will be a lot of work to prepare for that tournament. I feel confident and happy about the state contest.”  

Wolfard also qualified for state in Dramatic Interpretation and Zimmerman came in second in Lincoln Douglas Debate.

There were four finalist that didn’t qualify for State. Zimmerman got fourth place in United States Extemporaneous Speaking and Manary got fifth place in Storytelling. Finally, Harrod and Smith got sixth place in Duo Interpretation.

Wolfard, Mannary and Zimmerman will be competing at state April 11-13. NSDA Districts are this coming weekend. This tournament is what qualifies them for nationals, if they advance.