Floriculture sweeps the floor-a

Kyle+Whittaker%2C+senior+Sarah+Smalley%2C+senior+Yasmine+Thomas%2C+senior+Nikki+Briddle%2C+and+senior+Wyatt+Greer+wins+2+in+the+nation+for+floriculture+

Diana Greer

Kyle Whittaker, senior Sarah Smalley, senior Yasmine Thomas, senior Nikki Briddle, and senior Wyatt Greer wins 2 in the nation for floriculture

Savannah Clair, Writer

After winning State in April of 2017, the Floriculture team went to Nationals in Indianapolis Oct. 24-28 and the team won second place out of the top 45 schools in the nation. Individually senior Nikki Briddle placed 7, senior Yasmine Thomas placed 19, senior Sarah Smalley placed 20 and lastly senior Wyatt Greer placed 22 overall. The team was lead by Marshfield High School teacher Kyle Whittaker.

I am so proud of this group! They worked very hard and alot of hours. The contest required them to step out of their comfort zone and they handled it very well. Students like these four are why I became a teacher and why I love what I do,” said Whittaker.

The team was responsible for making corsages, different floral arrangements, identifying 50 different flowers and tools and taking a test within a certain amount of time. All of these tasks were judged and added to the final score.  

“It was really overwhelming at first, but once we got the hang of it I was like ‘ok we can do this,’” said Briddle.

The team as a whole stated that they really just wanted to make Whittaker proud, which they definitely achieved.