Flying Back into Memories

Before they arrived at the airport, the FCCLA club joined in for a giant, American “selfie.”

Remington Richerson, Writer

August 29, 2017 marked the date of this year’s first Honor Flight of the Ozarks. The Honor Flight of the Ozarks gives veterans of World War II, the Korean War, and any other terminally ill veteran of any era the opportunity to fly, free of charge, to Washington D.C. The Honor Flight of the Ozarks is located at the Springfield-Branson National Airport in Springfield, MOb one of 132 established “hubs” in the National Honor Flight. It took place from 8 p.m.-10 p.m. and there were snacks and water were sold to everyone participating in the welcoming of our veterans back to Missouri.

The FCCLA club went and gave the veterans a warm welcome! The group of students were chaperoned by Mrs. Pat Boshe and Mr. David Johnson. The students ate at Mexican Villa before they welcomed the veterans. They also got to listen to the Abdou Ben Adhem Shrine Band perform while they were there. Senior Michael Graves, FCCLA Treasurer and Recreational Officer, said that his favorite part of the trip was that, “It has such an impact on the community, people will remember it for the rest of their lives.” When asked what his overall favorite part of FCCLA has been, he answered, “it’s just one of the little things in life that I can always hold on to.”

For more information, go to honorflightoftheozarks.org.