Mock Mock Trial

Jason Whittington cross examines the plaintiffs witness.

Savannah Clair, Writer

Marshfield’s Mock Trial team prepared for their regional competition Thursday, March 1 at the Webster County Courthouse. The class is lead by instructor Jessica Gorham with the guidance of Cynthia Black and Judge Kenneth Thompson.

The Mock Trial team takes a case that is given to them and acts out the roles of their characters. Acting as the Attorneys for the Plaintiff are seniors John Gray, Lucas Reynolds and junior Emily Whitehurst. The defense Attorneys are junior Stephanie Bell, senior Jason Whittington and junior Genavieve Bennett. The Witnesses that were brought to the stand are senior Evan Watkins playing the part of Davie Bowie’s father Sam Hagar. Playing the superfan Ricky Springfield is senior Kyle Crotinger. Senior Logan Audrain played the record executive Pat Smith. Senior Koby Dugger played Spiders in Cars agent and Moonlight record producer. Senior Zeke McCall played as the Drummer for Spiders in Cars, Jamie Kelly. Finally, senior Mikahla Brinkley played the only case’s music expert Dr. Feelgood.

At the dress rehearsal judge David T. Tunnell and former attorney John Dickey and four former mock trial students alumni Garet Jones, Noah Brewer, Paige Taylor and senior Katie French gave their opinion and advice to the class. The parents and grandparents who attended also got to give compliments to the class.

The students are competing at the Regional competition in Columbia, MO March 10. If they qualify, they will go to St. Louis March 23 to the 25 at the State championship.

Thanks to these Marshfield High School students, “the future of the bar looks bright,” said Dickey.