The Student News Site of Marshfield High School

Jay Chatter

Jay Chatter

Jay Chatter

Polls

What's your favorite spirit day?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Amazingly Brave

The community helps out our own little Blue Jay warrior
Girls+wrestling+Pink+Out+shirts+
Ronda Hubbard
Girls wrestling Pink Out shirts

For the past 11 years of her life, Reiss Kaderly has struggled with heart problems. The Kaderly family has gone through a lot of work to make sure she is healthy and in good hands. Seeing their efforts, the community wanted to do everything in their power to lend a helping hand. So, in a few different ways, they gave all they could. 

Head of the sports department, Ronda Hubbard, dedicated the basketball Pink Out Night to Kaderly. Here at Marshfield High School, it has been a tradition every Pink Out game to donate everything raised to locals who are dealing with cancer. This year however, she knew exactly who it had to go to. 

“Even though it wasn’t cancer, we felt we always give those funds to a local person and what better person to give it to than the Kaderly family who is going through this hardship with one of our own little Blue Jays,” said Hubbard. 

In total, $6,634 was raised and all of it went straight to the family. Both boys and girls, JV and varsity, were playing that night and the gym was filled with students, family, friends and other members of the community on both sides. More than just the sports department worked hard for this game. Merlin Dennis, owner of Impress Printing, came up with the design for the shirts handed out that night. Only the first 100 students were given one of these shirts, and he had the honor of putting it all together. Jackson Gardner also had a fundraiser that night for his senior project called the “Teddy Bear Toss” where people would bring in new stuffed animals to throw and the winner was given gift cards and all donations went to the Children’s Mercy Hospital in Kansas City. Between all of these fundraisers, people were eager to come and help. 

Outside of the game, there have been many other donations and fundraisers for the Kaderly’s.

Cassie Fishel is using her senior project to make and sell bracelets to raise money for them. All proceeds go towards the family and students were welcome to reach out to her for requests. Bracelets are $2 a piece and will be sold the week after spring break.

Real Estate agent Brian Utecht at Whitetail Properties donated $5,000 to the cause and challenged other businesses to do the same.

Whispering Oaks Golf Course is holding a tournament where proceeds will go towards the cause as well. 

“It’s our job to rally around those people and do as much as we possibly can to help them out,” said Hubbard.