Season of Giving

Destin Schroeder, Writer

Thanksgiving is upon us as the fall season is in full effect and everyone is preparing for their favorite holiday foods. People tend to look at the holiday seasons in different ways in terms of what the holiday’s meaning is or what it means to them. Is it about the food or is it about being thankful for what you have? Students here at MHS were asked what this holiday means to them.

“I love Thanksgiving because it’s very loving and I always feel like life is whole during that time. The food is also something to look forward too,” said sophomore student Grace Clark.

Obviously family is important to remember when thinking of a holiday like this one, but what are some of the things people are feeling when this holiday arrives. 

“Joy…I always feel at peace knowing everyone I love is together in one room and I have no worries and I can just be with the people I love,” said senior student Adam Owens.

So in general, happiness to finds most people while centered around this holiday and a wave of warmth and peace surrounds them as they’re with their families. Although people love that feeling, some people prefer to be with other people they love other than family. 

“For Thanksgiving this year I plan on spending it mostly with my friends. I think that they are very important to have and I am very thankful to have them in my life,” said senior Alexis Warren. 

Thanksgiving is also looked at as just another stepping stone closer to Christmas, who many people believe is truly the biggest holiday of the year. 

“I think Christmas is without a doubt the biggest holiday of the year. I mean many people see Thanksgiving as a day to start decorating for Christmas,” said sophomore Ashlynn Schroeder.

Many people also wonder about the history of Thanksgiving and why it is looked at as a day to give thanks. 

“I know we learned about it in like the fifth grade and all, I just know it’s important to be with family and eat a lot of food,” said senior Jarrett Vann. 

Thanksgiving is a holiday that is supposed to be modeled off of a 1621 harvest feast shared by the English colonists of Plymouth and the Wampanoag people in thankfulness of the survival of the colonists. Thanksgiving did not become a holiday until October 3, 1863, which was during the Civil War. So no matter what your favorite holiday is, take the time this Thanksgiving to appreciate the people in your life that are important to you, and show them love.