Students strive toward NHS

87 NHS qualifiers attend meeting.

Savannah Clair, Writer

To qualify for National Honors Society (NHS)  you must have a 3.0 grade point average; 144 juniors and seniors met that qualification, but only 87 of them attended the NHS meeting on Tuesday, January 23.

The students were informed that they needed to participate in school activities, maintain at least a 3.0 GPA, have community service hours and write an essay telling the five anonymous judges why they should be in NHS.

The potential future NHS members need to get signatures from the sponsors that they have helped out with and have the essay written and turned in no later than Feb. 23 at 1:30 in Nicki Roy’s room.

After the judges decide who qualifies for NHS, Roy will send letters on March 9 to the applicants stating if they made it or not. For the ones that are accepted, the first meeting will be March 21 followed by the induction ceremony on the 26 of March at the MHS auditorium.

Although qualifying is such an honor it also is a lot of pressure for the students who qualify. Senior Kaen Adams stated that, “I feel like it’s such a big deal and now I’m just overwhelmingly stressed.”

Luckily for Adams there is not a set number of students who can be in it. As long as the student meets all the qualifications, show that they are involved and active in their community and have great leadership skills they should make it in.

Although it is a lot of work to get in, the club has a great pay off. It looks fantastic on a college resume and if you participate in the club activities it can be a lot of fun.

Good luck to all the qualifiers who are applying for a coveted spot in the National Honors Society.